Seafish have developed this three week basic seamanship induction course for new entrants to the fishing industry, consisting of two weeks shore-based training in basic seamanship (covering safety, gear and catch handling, net mending, rope work, stability, navigation and boat handling) followed by one week of mandatory safety courses (Sea Survival, Fire Fighting, First Aid, Health and Safety) plus the Seafish Basic Fishing Vessel Stability course (currently not mandatory). Although we cannot guarantee employment immediately following this course, assistance will be given to students to find berths on suitable fishing vessels so that they can go to sea and put their new-found knowledge into practice and gain practical experience of fishing.
In order to qualify for issue of certificates, you must attend ALL of the dates.
The course is completely free, but candidates are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and subsistence.
This course is suitable for school leavers wanting a career in the commercial fishing industry or other candidates of any age who are seeking a career change and who are considering entering the commercial fishing industry as an occupation. We are waiting for funding, and hoping to run a course in December 2020 or Janauary 2021 Contact Alan for further information 07802647531
1. Introduction and overview of the course - 1 day
2. Onboard procedures Core Course checklist - 1 day
3. Introduction to ropes, knots and fishing gear - 1 day
4. Net mending and gear construction - 2 days
5. Watchkeeping and navigation - 2 days
6. Basic engineering -1 day
7. Intermediate knots and splicing - ½ day
8. Boat handling (theory session, practical session optional) ½ day
9. Galley duties (optional) ½ day
10. Basic care of the catch ½ day
11. Introductory food hygiene ½ day
12. Basic sea survival (course assessed - certificated) 1 day
13. Basic health & safety (course assessed - certificated) 1 day
14. Basic first aid (course assessed - certificated) 1 day
15. Basic fire fighting (course assessed - certificated) 1 day
16. Basic fishing vessel stability ½ day
17. Course review and forward plan ½ day