A three-day fishing course aimed at those seeking a career within the commercial fishing industry. Once completed, the new entrants course will allow you to work on a vessel for up to three months. The three month period will enable you to gain experience and help you determine whether the industry is right for you.
The course includes the mandatory sea survival certificate free of charge and also covers a range of other subjects giving the new entrant a good all-round knowledge before joining their first vessel.
On completion of the course you will receive a Sea Survival certificate which will allow you to work in the industry for up to three months whilst you are completing the other mandatory safety courses in first aid, health & safety and firefighting.
- What is commercial fishing?
- What do I need to get started on board a fishing vessel?
- First day at work i.e. clothing and what should I bring with me?
- Good housekeeping, safe environment onboard
- Looking after you catch food and hygiene
- Familiarisation in what to do in an emergency
- Practical on radio, how to use a radio, emergency procedures and position reporting
- What is a PLB and how to use it
- What do l do if the skipper falls overboard!
- Practical on manual handling the catch
- First aid regarding knife cuts and hooks
- How to use a knife and sharpen safely
- Introduction on safety equipment, how to use it and where to find it
- Drills, monthly checklists
- Practical on measuring fish and shell fish to be in the law regarding size and catch
- Who is the MMO/IFCA/MCA/Seafish
- Being on watch and what to do to avoid a collision
- Practical on man overboard and using a bowline to tie the vessel up, anchor drill
- Tides and weather, how it affects your vessel
- Safety check lists
- Give us a job (Where to look)
- Sea survival/PST course, theory in classroom in morning and pool session in afternoon
- Details as to what ongoing training is available including the 15-day commercial fishing course and what courses are required by law to work in fishing industry
- Care and maintenance of lifejackets PFD